Additional Dental Services South Charlotte Office
Post-operative Care for a Tooth Extraction:
Before you leave our office we ask you to follow these instructions:
- Sit still for a few minutes after your appointment. We want to be certain that the bleeding has stopped before you move around. Depending on your extraction this time may vary from 5 to 45 minutes.
- Keep the dental gauze in place and apply slight pressure through your bite to stop the bleeding.
After you leave our office:
- Remain calm and still for a few hours after you leave our office.
- Do not suck or spit as this will inhibit the formation of a blood clot.
- Some bleeding is normal. You should expect your saliva to have some blood in it for several hours.
- Watch for signs of thick bleeding with dark red blood clots. If this happens you need to apply more pressure with the gauze we provide. This usually takes about 45 minutes.
- If the bleeding does not stop, please call our office or go to the hospital emergency room.
- For pain, after a simple extraction, you should be able to just take Tylenol or ibuprofen, or another over-the-counter pain remedy.
Our South Charlotte Office offers conventional full dentures. This type of denture is placed in your mouth after any remaining teeth are removed and tissues have healed. Healing may take several months, during which time you are without teeth.
Immediate Full Denture
Dr. Wells also offers immediate full dentures which are inserted immediately after the remaining teeth are removed. We take measurements and makes models of your jaw during a prior visit. While immediate dentures offer the benefit of never having to be without your teeth, they must be relined several months after being inserted. The reason is that the bone supporting the teeth reshapes as it heals, causing the denture to become loose.
We also offer partial dentures. This type of denture rests on a metal or acrylic framework that attaches to your natural teeth. Sometimes crowns are placed on some of your natural teeth and serve as anchors for the denture. Partial dentures offer a removable alternative to bridges.
In a standard cleaning, our trained dental hygienist removes soft plaque and hard tartar from above and below the gum line on all the teeth. The process requires one office visit and usually takes about 30 to 60 minutes.
Dr. Wells also offers Scaling and root planing in his South Charlotte office. This is a deep-cleaning, non-surgical procedure done when the depths of the pockets around the teeth are deeper than 3 millimeters–an early sign of gum disease. Under local anesthetic, plaque and tartar above and below the gum line are scraped away (scaling) and rough spots on the root are smoothed (planing) to remove bacteria and give a clean surface for the gums to reattach to the teeth. This is done using a local anesthetic and generally requires two to four office visits, each lasting around 45 minutes to an hour.
Dr. Wells has the skills and tools to ensure that early signs of cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified.