An Inexpensive Option to Repairing Damaged Teeth
Do you have a small defect in your smile? Chipped, irregularly shaped, slightly overlapped, or pointed cuspids? If so, tooth reshaping is an inexpensive technique that could work to repair your smile.
What is Tooth Reshaping?
Also known as Dental Contouring, reshaping teeth is the process of using specific abrasion techniques to completely eliminate or drastically reduce imperfections on the surface of the teeth. First, the dentist takes X-rays to ensure your teeth are healthy. Once it is determined the teeth are ready for reshaping, marks are made directly on the teeth to highlight areas needing sculpting. Special sculpting tools are then used to rid each tooth of unwanted enamel. Lastly, the teeth are polished and cleaned and you are left with a beautiful smile.
Is Tooth Reshaping Right for You?
If you have decaying teeth, unhealthy gums, or root canals probably not. This process is one for those with healthy teeth that are maybe a little crooked, pointy, or sideways and can be re-contoured through the process of reducing enamel.
Pros and Cons of Reshaping Teeth
Even if you feel reshaping might be a viable option, it is important to look at the pros and cons.
- Reshaping is a relatively inexpensive process, usually resulting in a price anywhere between $60 to $300 per tooth. And, if the defective tooth or teeth are due to an accident, it is possible your insurance will cover the cost.
- The process is painless, and no anesthesia is needed.
- The act of reducing enamel on certain teeth can reduce the risk of future decay and plaque buildup.
- If your teeth need a large amount of reshaping done it could lead to tooth sensitivity after the procedure. Remember, this is the conservative approach to repairing your smile.
- The change in your smile will be subtle. Again, this process is not for those who have majorly damaged teeth.
If you are ready to take a step towards a better smile and feel tooth reshaping could work for you, call us today for an appointment at 704-759-0908.